Thursday, May 31, 2007

Sam Sullivan and Drugs

It's a beautiful day, and I'm about to go outside to lie on the grass, but before I do that, I have to post about this before I forget about it. I was just listening to the fox, and Jeff O'neil had the mayor, "His Worship", Sam Sullivan on the show. They were talking about Vancouver and all the things Sam's going to change about it. I was surprised at how personable and warm-hearted our mayor is. He was cracking jokes the whole time and cracking up Jeff, Charis, Scotty and me. I would love to meet the guy. He just seems like a real cool guy to kick back and hang out with at the patio of Earls for a Friday lunch.

They got talking about poverty and drug abuse, and how Sam wants to reduce poverty by 50% before 2010. That, in my opinion, is a great idea. I think all mayors should have this idea...except not for this reason. See, it's a very debatable topic, weather or not the ends justify the means. In this case, I think it would be a lot better, and would look more favourable for everyone, if Sam was doing this because he wants to help out the needy. I'm not saying he doesn't, but this makes it sound like he just wants to improve the image of his fair city, and not have people turned-off by our poverty problem. Still, a good thing to do, and I can't wait to see the results.

Another thing he talked about was drugs, and how he's trying to improve that problem, and this sounded heartfelt and like he really wants this. He talked about a new system he's trying out where a select few (800) individuals who are addicted to heroin... are given heroin. 1000mg, which is apparently enough to stay on a "low-dose" heroin diet. This just perplexed me, though. Why would the government be giving people an illegal, harmful substance? It was later explained that the people then didn't have to commit crimes to get money for it, and didn't ever take the full 1000mg. They never take more than 500. They take just enough to not get sick, and not to get high. I then thought, this might show them a different world, and they'd be more keen on going to get help. I think I like this idea, but I'm not sure. I just am glad stuff is being done.