Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Little kid cities

I've been around. Let's start by saying that. I've been places in our continent and out. So even though I haven't been to vegas, or New York, or Hawaii, I've been places where not many people have been, not many people have even heard about. My genetic clique (family) loves road trips. Road trips to places like Carson city, Kentucky lake, the Redwoods, Crater lake.... now I wish I'd blogged back then. Those are all places I'd love to go back to, and all places that don't compare with my home. I've always been an eagermeister to get back home when I've been on my travels. That fills me with a pang of guilt, but one I'm not entitled to. It's not like I've spent entire months on the road thinking of nothing but my comfy bed and an actual door. It's more like I've subconciously known that I'd be heading home after the trip was over, and that would keep me comfy during the trip. And once in a while, the thought would peek through it's keyhole to remind the rest of my thoughts that I have a home elsewhere. And then I'd get excited. I would never REALLY miss home, 'cause I knew I'd get there eventually. Back in my little league years, when I was a youngster, I'd hate going on vacations! I can't believe it now, and I really hope my family doesn't read this, or I'll hear the words "we told you so" or something like that. The truth is, I had TRUCKLOADS of fun on those trips, and I didn't know it, because my mouth kept spewing words like "I want to go home" or "When do I get to see my friends again". Those words make me feel like I was an ass of a kid. But don't forget, dear readers, SO WERE YOU! There. I'm comforted. Thanks. I loved that my folks took me for epic trips to ass places. Places that were real boring, but contained a small token of character that I have a special compartment for. Each place gets it's own compartment. No mixing in my house. There've been lots of places ON the WAY to boring places that I've remembered moreso than the destination. There. My post is on to it's point. I was afraid there for a minuite. "How the HELL am I going to seguay this?". I remember particularly this one "town" in Utah. It was along some long stretch of highway, about 200 miles long, that was completely straight. And one store. One. For this tiny town. I went inside. Noone. Bathroom? Kinda. So we got our bread (barely) and drove on. And I dont' know why, but that little adventure has a compartment i go back to a lot. I wonder what people think of coquitlam when they drive through on their way to some location they want to get to. I was driving through late at night, and thought to myself that it would be a cool, unique town if I was en route on a road trip. It's just that with road trips, every town has its coolness factor multiplied by about a hundred because it's new, it's fresh, and you might not see it again. So you look at everything like it's a large, scrumptious-looking piece of cake. You'll eat the cake, and it'll probably taste fantastic, so you'll want to remember what it looked like later. Just so you can remember how you felt when it filled you with satisfaction shortly after you ate it. But you'll never have it again. Sad. I was thinking that coquitlam and port moody and port coquitlam really have all the telltale signs that a lot of cities had when I drove through them for 4 minuites and thought "that's a small town". Coquitlam is developing well, and how. But it's streets have too many lanes for the amount of cars most of the time. The buildings are many that have square corners and brown bricks from the 80's. And when electric signage was out, these buildings got it! However, they haven't moved on to more modern things like led's with more than the color red. There are things like the highrises and the townhouses on Forest parkway. There's the fancy new douglas college campus, and the evergreen centre. Those all bring us ahead a few years. But I wonder which people have Coquitlam in a compartment labelled "little city".